Sunday 19 July 2015

Pinhole Cameras Experiment One.....

It has been approximately 8 weeks since I put the first Pinhole Camera up at home as a test run to see if I had got the design right and whether the paper would work with the truly awesome weather we have in the North-West.

After taking down the camera, I realised that I needed to move fairly quickly to ensure that the scan was done swiftly so not to expose the image to much light in the transfer from the camera to the scanner. However, I discovered that getting the paper out of the can in one quick movement was not as easy as I thought it was going to be, and after a few frantic seconds I managed to place it soon the scanner, fingers crossed that I had not damaged the image. Upon placing the paper onto the scanner we realised (husband roped in at this point) that it did not want to scan without a preview first, big no, no when doing this kind of scanning. 


A quick changing of settings into "Professional" mode and we were off, with the scan taking the best part of 5 minutes as we put it on the highest settings to capture a decent image, and yes - the image is massive, 25% and it fills more than the whole of my screen.


Here is the original scan:




We were both impressed with the detail that had been captured by the camera in the short space of time.




Here is the final image, it has been inverted so it gives the illusion that it has been processed, however, this is a much easier method than using all the chemical to actually develop the photograph paper. I am really looking forward to collecting the other cameras that we have put up, and I need to make some more. 

I am really happy with how this experiment has turned out, big smiley face, the adventure with Pinhole Cameras continues.......



3 comments:

  1. I really miss the vinegary stink of the chemicals that were used in developing the light sensitive paper!
    Do you need a special scanner to develop these pictures? I'm guessing a conventional scanner wouldn't work because it passes light over the paper.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well done though! Looks like you got some interesting results :)

      Delete
  2. No special scanner required, just need to make sure that it does not do a preview scan first. Just turn off all the preview settings and do the first and last scan, saying that, due to the exposure it has already received the light from the preview scan probably won't do too much damage to the image. However, better safe than sorry, and the preview scan is disabled.

    ReplyDelete